Depression isn’t always easy to spot in loved ones, and they may be hiding it on purpose.
However, there are signs and tips to help you see their hidden depression.
Depression can be a devastating condition that affects them on multiple levels.
Use these strategies to help you discover if your loved one is suffering from depression:
1. Why people hide their depression. It’s easier to hide the issues than to deal with them, so it’s common for this to occur.
People hide their depression because they’re scared and don’t want others to know what is happening to them. They also may be worried about losing their jobs or kids. Embarrassment is another reason for it to happen.
Depression still comes with a stigma, and they don’t want it attached to them.
2. They may overcompensate. To hide their depression, they overcompensate by being more outgoing than usual.
Studies show that people trying to hide their depression can force themselves to be more outgoing and give fake smiles. They’re trying to keep their issues undercover, so they want others to think they’re fine.
3. They have eating disorders. Issues with food are common among those with depression.
Changes in appetite are common. They may eat too much or too little. Their diets may be out of control as they try to hide their depression.
If you notice diet changes in your loved ones, then consider why they’re happening. Food can serve as an emotional trigger. They can use it to make themselves feel better or worse.
4. They have angry outbursts. These outbursts can become more frequent as the depression gets worse.
An occasional angry outburst over a terrible situation is normal for everyone. However, if you notice frequent and strange angry outbursts, then your loved ones may be suffering from depression.
5. Their sleep patterns change. Unhealthy sleep patterns are an issue for those with depression.
Sleep patterns that change for no reason may be a sign of a deeper issue. Your loved ones may sleep too much or too little. They may complain about not getting enough sleep, yet they refuse to go to bed.
It’s important to look deeper into sleep issues. Why are they having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? Or, why are they staying in bed for so long?
Insomnia is frequently linked to depression.
6. They turn to addiction. Addiction and depression are often linked together.
Addiction can come in many forms and includes food, drugs, alcohol, or other items. It can also include gambling or other behaviors.
Risky behavior is an issue for people who suffer from depression. If you can spot these behaviors, then you can seek help and get them treatment. It’s important not to ignore their cry for help.
7. They hide their feelings by keeping insanely busy schedules. Work, family, and volunteer activities can fill up the day and stop them from addressing their depression.
It’s common for those who are hiding their depression to fill up their day with a ton of activity. This keeps them busy and stops them from thinking. It also keeps others from questioning them.
A busy schedule prevents them from having to deal with their emotions, so they pile on the activities.
8. They have trouble thinking clearly. People who suffer from depression can often make bad decisions or refuse to reach any decision and have trouble with their thoughts. They may also show difficulty in focusing on easy things.
Use these tips to help you spot hidden depression in your loved ones. You can help them feel better and get help.
You don't have to live with Depression. Help is Available:
“Destroy Depression” will give you the tools you need to do just that.
“Destroy Depression” is a complete source of information that will guide you through the different types and causes of depression and give you a comprehensive set of things you can do right now to treat your depression
WITHOUT making another doctor’s appointment or filling another prescription.
The best way to beat your depression is to understand as much as you can about it. “Destroy Depression” will give you a complete view of the physical, mental and emotional aspects of depression and enable you to beat it.
Begin your journey to a life of joy, happiness and emotional freedom with
How to Ward Off Seasonal Depression